Wednesday, July 27, 2005

RAGBRAI Day 4

Day 4 started out cool. When we stopped moving I began shivering pretty quickly. Again, why didn't I bring my cycling jacket? I'm stuck with this Gap anorak that gets the job done, but it doesn't really breathe, so I'm either too hot with it on or too cold with it off.

We stopped for breakfast at this 140+ year old farmhouse. It had "an addition" that was added in 1895, the year my house was built! They had bagels and coffee. There were lots of people around, and the owners were giving tours of the house. I thought the stairs in my house were steep, they were tame compared to this one. I can't imagine trying to walk up the stairs while carrying anything. It was quite a challenge in with my Look cleats.

Farmhouse

Next up was a stop in Dan's hometown of Titonka. The red carpet was rolled out for Dan. We stopped at his parents house for a super breakfast, before heading downtown for some more breakfast. Then it was back to his parents for photos, and to pick up his sister and his niece for a portion of the ride. They did 14 miles or so with us that morning. The sun was shining, the air was warm, and the birds were singing...

Titonka

Overall it was another long day, we pulled into Northwood and had a shower lined up with a friend of a friend. Dinner was at a local church, here is one of their decorations out front.

Northwood

Finally, a photo of the camp. We were camped at the county fairgrounds. Not as good as camping at a school, but this was better than our camp to be tomorrow, where we were pitching tents inside of a dirt race track! The white bus is Team Dragon, our team for the week.

DragonCamp

No comments: